What is it?
ISO 9001: 2008 is the international standard which defines:
- Customer Satisfaction
- Continuous Improvement
- Data Management/Records
- Audits/Management Review
How do we achieve it?
The process to certification is simple and involves the following steps:
- Carry out a "compliance audit" to determine which parts of your existing system already meets the standard and those that don't.
- Correct the "non-conformances" identified in the simplest way possible. Usually the changes are relatively minor.
- Document the revised system in accordance with the standard. This can be made much easier by using simple flow charts and keeping documentation to a minimum.
- Implement the system by using it on all new orders.
- Carry out internal audits to see if the system is working.
- Correct any "non-conformances" identified by the audit.
- Apply for 3rd party assessment and registration by a UKAS accredited certification body.
Once the company has been successfully assessed and certificated the system will by audited periodically (usually once per year) in order to remain certificated.